Thursday 19 September 2013

A Newbie's Perspective


I first heard about a dig going on from my son who is at Upper  Wharfedale School, as their history teacher had organised a school outing for year 8 up onto Grassington moor for taste of archaeology, which I have always wanted to be involved in, yet not had a opportunity to do so.

 I popped up to see my son on the dig and asked if I might be able to join in. Much to my delight and surprise Roger ( the lead archaeologist )  said I could. He gave me a trowel and a bucket and set me off to work. Well I must be honest I was thrilled. I thought Roger a little mad setting me loose on his well structured dig, but I did as I was told and was given advice and help right from the off ! It was wonderful.   I learnt so much and there is so much to learn it’s like being back at school but in a fun way ! 

Roger advises on how to avoid obstacles (such as portaloos!) when geophysing
(c) Photo Jane Lunnon
There is something very satisfying about digging into the earth and seeing something, no matter how small, which no one has ever seen before or at least not in some cases for thousands of years; it may only be hundreds, but it make no difference, it's a thrill and the more you do it the more you want to uncover.

Being part of a team of people who are so dedicated to the work they under take is a privilege. I have since done a few digs and just want to carry on doing more, so I will be working as much as I can with The Upper Wharfedale Heritage Group in Arncliffe and hope I can be of some small help.

As I live in Littondale to discover my local past will be fascinating to re-trace the history of our dale and rediscover our long forgotten past, is something I truly want to be involved in. 

2 UWHG members teach Vena how to use the geophysics "zimmer frame"
(c) photo Jane Lunnon
I have been welcomed with open arms by the members which I have met so far and want to become a member of the team which I will do, in the meantime I look forward to been part of something special and in a small way reliving history almost as it was made. Thanks for having me.


Vena Rogers

No comments:

Post a Comment